Wednesday, April 30, 2008

First post! Vegetarian Chili


I've been wanting to start a food blog for awhile, but I had an awful camera that took AWFUL pictures of food. The Husband got me a new camera for my birthday and I can now take decent (I hope!) food pics. I hope everyone enjoys my stuff as much as I enjoy making it!

This vegetarian chili is my go-to ALL THE TIME. I switch the recipe up a lot, depending on what I have available. I never measure for it, so all measurements are an approximation.



Dayna's Three-Bean Vegetarian Chili

Ingredients

  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 2 cups chopped onion
  • 4-5 cloves minced garlic
  • 1 can tomato sauce
  • 1 can diced tomatoes
  • 1 can (6 oz) tomato paste
  • 1 can vegetable stock or chicken stock if you don't mind meat!
  • 1 can kidney beans, drained & rinsed
  • 1 can black beans, drained & rinsed
  • 1 can great northern beans, drained & rinsed
  • 1 cup chopped zucchini
  • 2 cups frozen corn or frozen mixed veggies (corn, peas, carrots, green beans)
  • steak rub spice mix, 2 tbsp (my secret ingredient! My mix contains chili powder, paprika, and dry mustard)
  • salt and pepper to taste
Preparation

Heat the vegetable oil in a stock pot over medium-high heat. Add onions and garlic and saute for 5 minutes. Stir in stock and the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and let simmer 20-40 minutes. Serve! Simple and oh-so-good.

No comments: